Inventory counts help you keep track of your inventory. During an inventory count, each article in your store is counted and recorded to spot all lost articles in your inventory.
On this page
When to complete an inventory count
We recommend completing an inventory count periodically at least once a year.
Completing an inventory count is convenient at the end of your season when most of your articles have been returned to your store.
How to complete an inventory count
Inventory counts are most efficient when your articles are labelled with barcodes and with the help of a barcode scanner.
The following guide will walk you through how to efficiently perform an inventory count with the help of a barcode scanner and Excel. Note: you can also use any other spreadsheet application of your choice.
Here's how to do it:
- Go to your Inventory page and open the Articles tab.
- Export your list of articles by clicking Export on the top right corner of your articles table.
- Open the exported CSV file in Excel (or any other spreadsheet application)
- Add a new column to the spreadsheet to which to scan all of the articles you find.
- Start your inventory count by scanning all of the article ID's you find to newly created column.
- Add another new column to which we will record for each article wether it has been found or not.
- Next, you'll need to compare the Scanned article IDs column to the Article Id column to find all of the articles that have not been found.
- With Excel this can be done with the help of the VLOOKUP function: https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/6392-excel-compare-two-columns.html#missingdata1
- The following example will record TRUE if the article in your inventory is not included in the Scanned article IDs column.
- You now filter the list based on the is missing value to have a list of all articles that are missing after your inventory count.
- Next, we will update the Status column value to LOST for all the missing articles and upload the CSV back to Rentle to update the status of the articles in Rentle.
- Make a copy of your file.
- Update the Status column value to LOST or IN_USE based on the Is missing? column value
- Export the file as a .CSV file
- You can delete the columns we have created (e.g. Scanned Article Ids, and Is missing) if you don't want to include this data to your inventory.
- Go to the Inventory page in your Rentle Admin App
- Click on Import then click on Choose file and open your CSV file you just created.
- The import will update the Status column value. Read more about making batch edits with the inventory import.
- Click on Confirm import
- You can delete any extra columns that were imported if you like.
- That's it, the status for all of your lost items has been updated.