How to transform a .CSV export so that the text is split into different columns in your favorite spreadsheet software
CSV (comma-separated values) files are commonly used to move data between programs that aren't ordinality able to exchange data. Thus, whenever exporting data from Rentle, a .CSV file is created.
In a .CSV file, each row represents one data record in which all related information is stored and separated by commas. When exporting your inventory for instance, each row will hold all information regarding one inventory item.
Opening and editing .CSV files in a spreadsheet software makes them easier to read and edit. We'll explain how to use your favorite spreadsheet software to present the contents of a .CSV file as if it were a spreadsheet, thus sorting the information into columns.
On this page
How to transform a .CSV export with Microsoft Excel
How to transform a .CSV export with Google Sheets
- Right-click the .CSV file and choose open with > Microsoft Excel
Select the cell or column that contains the text you want to split. This is in most use cases the Column A
Select Data > Text to Columns.
In the Convert Text to Columns Wizard, select Delimited > Next.
Select the Delimiters for your data. For example, Comma and Space. You can see a preview of your data in the Data preview window.
Select the Destination in your worksheet which is where you want the split data to appear.
- Open an empty Google Sheet
- Select File > Import an choose your downloaded .CSV file
- in the Import file window choose your import location, separator type and whether you want the text to be converted to numbers, dates, and formulas or not
- Click Import data
- Your data should now be displayed in columns. If some rows are not imported correctly, you can manually transform them
- Highlight the cells that were not transformed at import, Select Data > Split text to columns